Mosquito season is around the corner, bringing with it a higher risk of catching potentially serious diseases transmitted by their bite. Mosquitoes also may increase the severity of the diseases they transmit, and researchers think that mosquito saliva plays an active role in this process. A team of researchers at Baylor College of Medicine has...
Recent Posts by Joseph
Researchers at the University of Bristol have revealed new details on how the animal disease Nagana is spread by tsetse flies in Africa.
When animals are bitten by bloodsucking tsetse flies, they don't just get a painful bite, as the flies may be carrying a cargo of deadly microbes, trypanosomes.
These microbes are squirted into the skin...
A group of blue whales that frequent the South Taranaki Bight (STB) between the North and South islands of New Zealand appears to be part of a local population that is genetically distinct from other blue whales in the Pacific Ocean and Southern Ocean, a new study has found.
The whales show a high level of...
Researchers from Michigan Technological University have released the annual Winter Study report detailing updates on the ecology of Isle Royale National Park. For the third year in a row, the Isle Royale wolf population remains a mere two, while the moose population continues to stay above the historic average. Without the pressure of predation, the...
Many of the European mammals whose habitat is being destroyed by climate change are not able to find new places to live elsewhere.
30 of the 62 mammal species in the University of Exeter study will have their habitat substantially affected by climate change, but don't have the traits that could allow them to colonise a...
Chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) appear to keep tidier sleeping arrangements than humans do. That's one finding of a recent study that evaluated the microbes and arthropods found in the treetop beds that chimpanzees make each night.
"We know that human homes are effectively their own ecosystems, and human beds often contain a subset of the taxa --...
Recent Comments by Joseph
No comments by Joseph yet.
*FREE* Callback Request
Search our website
Like us on Facebook
- Do bats adapt to gates at abandoned mines?
- Bees love blue fluorescent light, and not just any wavelength will do
- Human immune response in the fruit fly
- Lion conservation research can be bolstered by input from a wide-range of professionals
- Factor important for ZIKA Virus host species restriction
- 22,000-year-old panda from cave in Southern China belongs to distinct, long-lost lineage
- Are smarter animals are bigger troublemakers?
- Animal welfare charity marks 35 years with exceptional day of thought-provoking debates
- Flying spiders sense meteorological conditions, use nanoscale fibers to float on the wind
- Key ocean fish can prevail with changes to farmed fish, livestock diets