You have probably encountered a raccoon raiding the trash in your neighborhood, seen a rat scurrying through the subway or tried to shoo away birds from your picnic. But have you ever wondered what makes these animals so good at living in suburbs and cities, and whether these same traits also make them such a...
Recent Posts by Joseph
The 2018 AWF Discussion Forum featured inspiring talks on some of the most...
Spiders take flight on the smallest of breezes by first sensing the wind, and then spinning out dozens of nanoscale fibers up to seven meters long, according to a study publishing June 14 in the open-access journal PLOS Biology by Moonsung Cho, Ingo Rechenberg, Peter Neubauer, and Christoph Fahrenson at the Technische Universität in Berlin....
Anchovies, herring, sardines and other forage fish play an essential role in the food web as prey for seabirds, marine mammals and larger fish like salmon. When ground into fishmeal and oil, they are also a key food source for farmed seafood and land-based livestock such as pigs and poultry.
As seafood consumption outpaces the growth...
New research led by the American Museum of Natural History has uncovered five new species of snakes in Ecuador and Peru with peculiar dining etiquette: they suck the viscous bodies of snails out of their shells. The new species, most of which are considered endangered or vulnerable, are described in a study published today in...
Human activity is causing the planet's mammals to flee daylight for the protection of night, according to a new study from the University of California, Berkeley.
The study, published today in the journal Science, and supported in part by the National Science Foundation, represents the first effort to quantify the global effects of human activity on...
Recent Comments by Joseph
No comments by Joseph yet.
*FREE* Callback Request
Search our website
Like us on Facebook
- Do bats adapt to gates at abandoned mines?
- Bees love blue fluorescent light, and not just any wavelength will do
- Human immune response in the fruit fly
- Lion conservation research can be bolstered by input from a wide-range of professionals
- Factor important for ZIKA Virus host species restriction
- 22,000-year-old panda from cave in Southern China belongs to distinct, long-lost lineage
- Are smarter animals are bigger troublemakers?
- Animal welfare charity marks 35 years with exceptional day of thought-provoking debates
- Flying spiders sense meteorological conditions, use nanoscale fibers to float on the wind
- Key ocean fish can prevail with changes to farmed fish, livestock diets