20 July 2018
Keep dogs on a lead around water bodies known or suspected to have toxic blue-green algae
An increase in reports of
toxic blue green algae in several locations across the UK this summer is
prompting the British Veterinary Association (BVA) to urge pet owners to take
extra precautions while walking their dogs in the vicinity of affected water
Blue green algae blooms
may appear as green or greenish-brown scum on the surface of water and can
contain toxins that can be harmful for animals if ingested, even in small
quantities. Dogs can swallow this algae by drinking water from an affected
lake, river or pond or while licking their fur after going for a swim.
Symptoms of exposure can
appear within a few minutes or hours, depending on the type of toxin ingested,
and commonly include: vomiting, diarrhoea, drooling, disorientation, trouble
breathing, seizures and blood in faeces. If left untreated, it can cause liver
damage and ultimately be fatal within days.
The presence of blue
green algae has been confirmed in water bodies in Scotland, the Lake District,
North Lincolnshire and East Northamptonshire, among other locations, this
Association Senior Vice President Gudrun Ravetz said:
“We know that some dogs
enjoy nothing better than a paddle in a cool lake while on a walk in this hot
weather, but my advice to pet owners would be to keep your dog on a lead during
walks near water confirmed to have toxic algal blooms. While not all blue green
algae are poisonous, it is impossible to tell the difference visually, so it is
better to be safe than sorry.
treatment is key to tackling the effects of the toxins and ensuring a good
chance of recovery, so if you suspect your dog has been exposed to blue green
algae, rush it to your local vet without delay."
Top tips to keep your
- Look out for any warning
signs put up by the Environment Agency or local councils near water bodies.
- Keep pets on a lead and
by your side around water bodies known or suspected to have blue-green algal
bloom – don't let them swim in it or drink from it.
- If your dog has been
swimming outside, wash it thoroughly with clean water afterwards.
- Rush your pet to a vet
immediately in case you're concerned it may have ingested toxic algae. There is
currently no known antidote for the toxins, so
prompt treatment is essential to ensure that your pet has a good chance of recovery.